To a Spider




To a Spider


In tribute to Robbie Burns, who would have done it much better.


While jogging home from my run today,
I saw some brambles on the way,
And blackberries shining in the sun,
Dark, ripe and ready.

Five I picked, then I dropped one,
And took another, from much higher,
And saw I had destroyed your web,
Stretched craftily across the briar.

And then I went and out you came
From beneath your watching bramble leaf,
And saw the mess made of your well-spun trap,
By a clumsy-handed blackberry thief.

A few hours’ work, and skilled work too,
None of your mindless labouring.
But a marvel of filigree,
All gone.  All gone.
Today no flies, mosquitoes, midges or moths
Or gnats on the table for tea!

I lost two pages of text
On my computer yesterday.
I ranted and I blamed
Keyboard, computer and much more,
Everything in fact but me!

So events have upturned once again
The best laid schemes of spiders and men.

I was to blame for my pages lost,
But your mangled web was not your fault.
Yet calmly you began the job,
As I munched blackberries down the lane,
And little by little, hour by hour,
You quietly span it back again.

September 2000



 

Comments

Popular Posts