Dorigen 14 Tristan




Roderick then called his squire
And his wife's maid
Bothe trusted in times past.
‘Go now with Dorigen’, he said.
‘Go wherever she has to go
And obey whatever command she gives.’
He could not bear to watch her out of sight,
Which is unlucky as some say,
But turned and closed the heavy door,
Alone inside his house once more.

This, then, is what Roderick did.
Before you judge him, wait until the end.
Yes, take another beer
And then give one to me,
For storytelling is hard and thirsty work.
Only one left, you say?  Well, then, let’s share it.
Listen.

The three went out into the frosty street,
Past the houses, past the busy market stalls,
Where women were haggling over fish and meat,
Till they had left the busy town.
They made their way to the garden then
That in summer had been so full of flowers.

The day was cold and grey and on its way to night
Though it had hardly dawned at all so dark it was.
Dorigen's body froze as she slowly
Forced herself along the road with eyes cast down.
She felt that all the people knew her shame.
She saw it in their looks and heard it in their words
And was sure they pointed at her as she passed
And whispered about her as she walked by.
She stared at the hard and stony ground
And came to the open garden door.
Tristan was already waiting there for well he knew 
That sooner or later she was bound to come.

‘Leave me’ said Dorigen to the other two.
‘I have some business with this man.
Wait here till I return.’
Reluctantly they stayed just where they were,
And Dorigen walked on alone.
‘Madam, where are you going?’  said Tristan.
She looked at him with frightened eyes
Like a hare that's cornered by the yelping hounds,
And knows her time has come.
 She answered as if she were half mad
‘To the garden as my husband bade,
To keep the promise that I made.’ 

Her words went straight to Tristan’s heart.
He pitied her and marvelled how
Her husband made her keep her vow,
So high he held all honesty and truth.
He saw how cruel and heartless he would be,
And sin against all honour and gentility,
If one step further he went now.

‘Madam, I prefer to suffer woe for evermore
Than break the love between you two.
I release you of every promise
That you have ever made to me.
I will never mention this again.
You have my word.
And so I say goodbye
To the best and truest wife
That I have known in all my life.’
And then he turned and went.

At first poor Dorigen stood confused
And was too frightened to believe his words
So welcome were they to her ears.
Then the colour came back to her cheek,
Her eyes looked up,
And her smile returned more lovely than before.
She called the squire and maid with happy voice
And strongly called them once again,
And they came quickly, concerned as both had been  
To leave her there alone
In this strange meeting place.
They smiled to see her changed so much,
So happy now with head held high,
And were hard put to keep up with her
As she ran along the streets once more.

Her freezing fingers and her frosted feet
She never felt, no not for a moment,
As she quickly made her way back home.
The street was gay with people and the stalls were busy
As the townsfolk bargained long,
Buying for their evening meal.
She moved so quickly through the crowd, 
That sometimes she walked through the groups
Of cheerful housewives gathered there, 
As they stood chatting in the street.
No sooner had she reached her door
Than she called her husband who was waiting there,  
Pacing to and fro,
And told him all that had just passed.
And now we will intrude no more
But leave them to each other there,
In each other’s arms at last.

Back we go to Tristan,
In the cold garden all alone.
He sat on the stone bench beside the garden door,
And thought now of his debt and how to pay.
‘There’s no way out for me, there’s just no way.
I must sell all I have and beg from town to town.
Here I cannot stay to shame my family and friends.’

The only chance, the only way,
Is if he gives me time to pay
Year by year on a certain day.
My promise I will keep at least.

So home he went.
With heavy heart he took a key
And opened up his treasure chest
Of solid oak with strong, thick iron bands
And locked securely.
His brother helped him count the gold
And from his lips
Came no reproach at all.
Tristan took five hundred pounds all told,
And went to the wizard and asked him
Of kindness to give him time to pay the rest.
‘Sir, never yet have I failed to keep my promise.
Throughout my life I’ve kept my word.
And so rest assured
That I will pay this debt in full
Even if I go begging in the street.
Here take the half of what I owe.
In gold I have it in my hand.
Please give me time, two years or three,
To pay the rest, of your great charity.’

The magician listened to his words
With serious look and asked him then,
‘Have I not kept the promise that I made to you?’
‘Yes, certainly, you have been true.’
‘And did you not enjoy this lady as you wished?’
‘No, not at all’, he said and sighed
And told him then what I've told you.
‘He told him about Dorigen
How she had come to him alone,
Pale and trembling,
With eyes dark red from weeping.

‘She had never heard of tricks or of illusion
And made her promise in all innocence.
I felt such pity when I saw her then.
As virtuous as he sent her me
I sent her back to him again,
In spotless honour as she came.’

The magician answered, ‘My dear brother
Each of you acted nobly to the other,
You as a squire and he as a knight.
Now God forbid but if a wizard, truth to tell,
Can’t conjure up a noble deed as well.

Sir, I release you of your thousand pound
As if you’d sprung now from the ground
And had never met me in your life!
I will not charge a single penny
For all my skills or all my work.
You’ve paid me well enough.
This is all I need to say,
So farewell to you and have good day.’
And saying this he took his horse
And set off on his way.

So of all the people in my tale
Who was the noblest of them all? 
Tell me, if you know.
Finish your beer and here’s your coat and gloves,
The night's turned raw,
But answer my question before you go.

Comments

Popular Posts