Worlds apart





Worlds apart


I see the world through the eyes of English.
My colours are green and red and blue.
And do they mean the same to you?
My green is the May grass in the field
Near the river,
And yours is the palm by the beach
Or the shallow sea that covers
The warm sand in the morning.
You see verde, maybe,  
But whatever it is that you have seen
Is not the same as I see as green.

My hot and cold are on Somerset hills,
When the warm air comes in June
From the Channel with the seagulls,
Or when the east wind blows
And on a February dawn
Plays havoc with the frozen grass.

The benchmarks in this world we share,
And the side of the fence we happen to be,
They all depend where we were raised
Where we grew up and learnt each name.
We use the words that fit our world
And other worlds are not the same.

Comments

Popular Posts